Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Halifax Canada

My first experience in Canada set me off on the wrong foot and I was not sure if I would be able to recover from this sour taste in my mouth.

So I order a pizza for 10 US dollars, and when it arrived the bill was $22. "Wha?" you may ask. Well, delivery costs extra in Canada ($8, apparently) and the tax is super high too (like 30% or more). I couldn't help but curse Canada and its amazing free medical care as a result of the extra taxes. Canada had a lot of work to do to impress me at this point. And yes I know what you are thinking... Is Greg willing to write off an entire country for paying an extra $12 on a pizza?

Hell yes I am!

Then I woke up and found myself in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Halifax is a sweet little city which somehow reminds me of San Francisco due to the gloom, mix of old and modern buildings and the bridge off in the distance. Needless to say I was impressed from the get-go.

Again while at "work" I was able to grab the camera and trek up a steep hill to this extremely old citadel. The view was amazing, the clouds were dense and the pictures were, well, picturesque. I couldn't help but smile to myself at my good fortune as I sat on top of this elevated ancient city looking down upon the modern metropolis below. Thanks for the photos Halifax, you are A-OK in my book. My favorite is the fancy soldier depiction (shown below).








1 comment: