Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bang-her, I mean Bangor Maine

On March 22, the city of Bangor Maine awoke to find that its African American population had increased by 732% as a direct result of the Harlem Globetrotters coming into town. I'm just saying it stays "white" out pretty late in those parts. It must be some sort of early time change or something.

Not only is Bangor (pronounced Bang - Her) the home of Paul Bunyan aka Shakas it is also the home of Stephen King, author of the greatest saga of epic books ever written, entitled The Dark Tower.

After becoming completely immersed in these books it was a bit surreal to be in Bangor, mostly because Stephen King writes both himself and the town into the books. I hear he walks the same walk every day on the same street and goes to the same gas station at the same time as well (also in the books). The man likes his routine, apparently.

This area was right next to my hotel so I was giddy like a schoolgirl at the thought of seeing him. No luck in that department so I just had to keep on living my life and power through :(

Shortly thereafter, while I was "working" at the venue, I found the time to grab my skateboard and venture out to the skatepark next door. To my surprise after 3 months of snow, rain and non-stop cold my legs had not turned into atrophied, useless jelly-like twigs and I commenced shredding. Somewhere along the way I climbed a Paul Bunyan statue in the center of town and then off to Canada. Good times, thanks Bangher.







No comments:

Post a Comment